Sunday, April 25, 2010

Mum, I'm a Muslim

This was the story on Astro which I watched last night on Channel 106 (Oasis). Astro did a good job in promoting spiritual well being, by injecting these elements into our daily lives.. and they are doing it pretty well. This particular story is of a British girl who converted to become a Muslim, married a Yemeni and there's this other girl who just found Islam which she already embraced and coming home to meet her parents and by then, broke the news to them. All these women wearing hijjab and covers their aurat well. 

Allah has stated in the Quran that women must guard their modesty.
" Say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty ; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what must ordinarily appear thereof. " [Quran : 24.31]

" Say to the believing man that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty ; that will make for greater purity for them, and God is well acquainted with all they do. " [Quran : 24.30]
 
There's this one part here, I cannot really agree to what they were saying. You know, these could mean sending the wrong message to the world. The interviewer asked her all the thing about hijjab. How are you getting used to wearing it, do they ever get in your way, etc etc.. Being a dominant lady and outspoken, she answered its what she wants. She wanted to protect her self. She did not wanted men to stare at her and attracted to her. Which she really did it quite well (she asked the cameraman whether he thinks she's attractive..) because her hijjab were not carefully put in place, all ruffled (not ironed). 

"................
2.Our dress should provide adornment. It should provide for decent appearance. Our appearance should not be an eyesore for decent human beings. For men, this extends the coverage requirements to include most of the body. For women, the essential requirement is that their dress should identify them as respectable ladies who would be honored not harassed. Additionally, hijab rules aim at protecting them from the gaze of other men.
......................"
 
We all accept that it is Islam's way of life to dress moderately, neatly, nicely, clean. But there's also a part to add on to it....your appearance should not be an eyesore for ither... so, it is OK to add some scent so that we don't give off "odourous" or "unwanted" smell which will make others feeling discomfort. This is why Islam taught you (and me and them) to be neat and tidy and in moderate. Islam does not specify it to follow a certain tradition or a certain culture.

Some of my Ustazah who taught me Agama (Primary School Subject), I should say, don't really take care of these issues you know.. which in turn, does not leave a good impression on me later on, I mean, I was questioning myself why do I need to wear hijjab if it means sweating up in there? Ladies and ladies, Not to say that I'm all into make ups and dolled up to make me face look pretty (because I don't), I'm only commenting that Muslim women should take care of their personality in total. YES to hijjab, YES to moderate dressing, YES to neat and tidy and YES to facial & spa visit (I like)! Don't people respect you more with good appearance and good personality? Don't your husbands love you more for dressing up for them?

I say this to myself, and others who share the same views as I am.  


No comments: