Thursday, February 23, 2006

what's wrong with these people

What is it about them? I watched this last night in Buletin Utama (and today they have it in Utusan Online) and feel the urge to write my comments on this issue.

The issue became a hot topic when this lady whom is working with an international renowned status company were asked to not wear the hijabb when she comes to work. Her employer claimed that this contradicts with their work wear policies.. My instantaneous comments will be .. what is wrong with them?? Have they not the decency to respect its employee?


And to make matter worst, they seemed to have the idea that this is an issue that can be settle off easily.. by wearing it at places apart from work?


OK.. my views are very straight and innocent. I am writing not just to speak for the Muslim ladies, but generally as a public citizen. This situation too implies on all Mr. Singh whom wear their turbans to work, the Jews whom wish to wear their skull cap to work, a person who needed a wheel chair to support him/herself and obviously to use it to go to work, a blind person, a deaf person, black, asian, white, male, female, transgender, transvestities, whatever the type of person you are.

Have they not heard about the "Equal Opportunities Rights"? If not, better equip yourselves with the knowledge of your own rights as an employee. The British, The Americans are well aware about it. But how come still this hotel neglects its employees rights??

It has been made a universal policies that all internationally renowned company have. Shell, Accenture, Exxon, ICI, Schlumberger, PETRONAS, Colgate Palmolive, Microsoft, Intel, you name it.. just click on to their website and there you have it. What it talked about is how they uphold the human rights and that they support it very much the concept that "REGARDLESS" of race, ethnicity, faith, disability, colour and whatever the criteria that one can come up with.. regardless of all these, they will not based their judgement on hiring or employing its potential employess on these facts.

So, that means whatever you wear, however you look, the only thing that matters is your capability of handling the job, performing your task well. At the end of the day, that is all that matters. This I speak on behalf of my own experience, and my views.

I have once submitted a resume to a famous paint company, the ICI few years ago. Somehow at first the HR was really interested when after she read my resume.. however the catch is that, I haven't provided with an appropriate self photo. Well, that photo that I had in the resume was quite "ehm ehm" OK la... and was very recent. Then I got to learn that they requested another picture of me without the hijap so that they can send it to their US HQ. OK.. so, with all the dignity I replied that will be the only picture you will get from me. If you like it, you can call me up later.

I have worked for several part time jobs whilst waiting for my graduation for about 3 months. Being in the public of a modern country did made me stand out from the crowd because of my difference in wearing a piece of head scarf. But, hey it doesn't makes me any different innnit? At Fatface, the retail outlet for fun, happening and wild outdoor lifestyle, a far contrast to my modest appearance, they still hired me! I enjoyed every bit I was there. Oh and not to forget, the Old Trafford CES whom is responsible for security of every match at the United home ground, hired me because they think I can do it, and never question my looks (teringat Charlie yang pandai mengayat whom once called me gorgeous wahhahaa). They even had made it easier and made suggestions what colour is most suitable when coming to work.

So, what's wrong with these people??

No comments: